A LITTLE BIT OF FLUFF: Happy Easter!

, , No Comments
Those who know me best, know that there are two activities that I am passionate about ---- decorating and singing.  Now, I'm no Carrie Underwood, but I have a little talent and a lot of enthusiasm.  The (public) place I get to exercise my passion for singing is in church.  This past Sunday was Palm Sunday which is a Sunday of celebration before the solemnity of Good Friday and the joy of Easter.  We have a new choir director this year and for her first Easter season in our church she chose some beautiful and difficult classical pieces that we performed on Palm Sunday.  These along with some readings by the pastor told the story of Easter.  Now, I don't know why but composers of Easter music always throw in a lot of high notes.  Hmmm, maybe they want us to end the Easter service on a high note, literally. Anyway, as a first soprano, it is up to me to try and sing those high notes.  Let me tell you, they don't get any easier as I get older!  I did my best but I am sure I didn't do the music justice.

One of the fun things about sitting in the choir loft is being able to look out at the congregation.  Of course, the bad thing about sitting in the choir loft is we are always looking at the back of the preacher's head during the sermon and every one can see you so you always have to be on your best behavior. But I digress.  It is the tradition in many churches, including mine, that on Palm Sunday, whilst carrying palm fronds, the children of the church progress down the center aisle from the back of the church to the front, right toward the choir loft.  It is always entertaining to see the kids marching in with their palm fronds waving. This past Sunday they were singing as they came and lined up in the front of the church to finish their song and wave their branches.  It seems that child singers either have talent or enthusiasm, but rarely both! Regardless, I always enjoy the joyful noise.  I was really entertained by one boy with a palm frond in each hand.  His energetic waving made me wonder if he was trying to land some imaginary jet liner.  He was certainly more interested in waving than in singing which is often the way with young boys.  God bless him!

Happy Easter to you all!  Wishing you and yours an Easter basket filled with gooey Peeps, colorful jelly beans and chocolate bunnies!!




0 comments:

Post a Comment